Cleaning windows is definitely less difficult with our guide!
Window dressings are often an afterthought when it comes to cleaning a house, but they can be a real pain to clean if you don’t know how. Whether they’re made of fabric or plastic, our easy guide will take the hassle out of freshening them up and will teach you how to clean blinds and curtains in no time.
So get ready to enjoy streak-free windows with our post at Fresh Home Cleaning!
- How to clean metal blinds + How to clean plastic blinds
- How to clean wood blinds
- How to clean your curtains
- How can I clean my blinds?
- How often should I clean my curtains?
- Can I clean wood blinds with water?
- How can I remove stains from my curtains?
- Can I wash my blinds in the washing machine?
- See more cleaning guides
How to clean metal blinds + How to clean plastic blinds
Both kinds of blinds are actually very easy to clean. That’s because water does not harm them, so you can get them wet without worries. That being said, here are a few steps to clean your curtains made of plastic or metal:
- Close them!
- Dust time: Use a duster to reach hard places, and take considerable time to dust off all your curtains. Dust is probably the main source of their dirtiness.
- Make a mixture of soap and warm water and with a sponge wipe down every single slat from top to bottom.
- Now do it backward: reverse the slats!
- If you have very dirty or greasy blinds, you can always remove them for deeper cleaning. You may put them in the bathtub with a little dish soap, let them rest for about ten minutes, and then remove them from there and dry them with a microfiber cloth.
- Are they still dirty? After all this time? Well, in that case, you can use a cleaning solution and spray them with it.
- Now it’s time for a final wipe-down!
- Let them dry.
How often should I clean my metal/plastic blinds?
Curtains are very prone to getting dirty quickly, so the more often you clean them, the better. But we recommend setting a reminder to clean them at least once a month. In the meantime, a quick dusting once a week doesn’t hurt anyone.
How to clean wood blinds
Contrary to metal or plastic curtains, wooden curtains are more delicate and sensitive to water. That is why you must complete the entire process of cleaning them very carefully. Here is how:
- Close them and use a duster to remove every little bit of unwanted dust.
- Buy yourself a wood cleaner and use it to wipe down every slat from top to bottom and in reverse with a microfiber cloth. Be aware of not using too much cleaning solution!
- Give them a final wipe-down with a soft rag and a little lemon oil.
- Let them dry.
How often should I clean them?
It is preferable that you clean them once a week, and do a very deep cleaning every 4 or 6 months. This will prevent dust, stains, grease, and insects from getting between your wooden curtains.
How to clean your curtains
Curtains can be a pain to clean. Not only do they get dusty and stained easily, but they can also be quite heavy and awkward to move around. Before starting the cleaning process, check out your curtain tags so you’ll make sure it’s washable or non-washable.
If it is washable, remove them and shake them out outside your home so all the dust will be gone. Then, follow the washing instructions on the label of your curtains. It is important that you do this, as one wrong step and you will permanently damage them. Don’t rub them! It’s extremely hurtful and you can create those annoying little balls of cloth. After all these steps, iron them and hang them to dry.
If they’re not washable, you have to dry clean them. This is not an easy task so we strongly recommend you to an expert to do it.
How can I clean my blinds?
To clean your blinds, you can use a microfiber cloth or a duster to remove loose dust and debris, then wipe them down with a damp cloth or sponge using a mild cleaning solution.
How often should I clean my curtains?
It is recommended to clean your curtains at least once every six months, or more frequently if they are exposed to high levels of dust or allergens.
Can I clean wood blinds with water?
It is not recommended to clean wood blinds with water as it can cause warping and damage to the wood. Instead, use a dry microfiber cloth or a specialized wood cleaner to clean them.
How can I remove stains from my curtains?
To remove stains from your curtains, you can spot-clean them using a solution of mild detergent and water, or a specialized stain remover. Always test the solution on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it does not damage the fabric.
Can I wash my blinds in the washing machine?
It is not recommended to wash blinds in the washing machine as it can damage them. Instead, clean them by hand using a damp cloth or sponge and a mild cleaning solution.
As you can see, there are a few risks involved in cleaning your blinds and curtains yourself. It’s best to leave it to the experts who know how to clean them without damaging them. Fresh Home Cleaning is an expert Maryland cleaning service that offers blind and curtain cleaning as part of our home cleaning services.